A few years ago a group of educators started talking about one of the biggest issues we continued to see in school after school, classroom after classroom: The classroom still looked like it did in 1985, 1955, and sometimes even 1905!
I was lucky enough to be part of that group that went on to form ClassroomCribs.com and start the conversation around learning space redesign.
Since then we’ve run Classroom Redesign contents through Classroom Cribs, written articles, spoke at conferences, and shared the hundreds of stories and pictures of teachers and school leaders that have led this movement.
Last year, we decided to write a short, practical, and actionable book on this topic!
I hope this book can help the transformation of your school/classroom/learning space into a student (and brain-friendly) environment!
It is time for the desks to lose and the children to win.
Bring hope, joy, and positive energy back into the daily work of the classroom. Explore how learning space design can positively impact classroom learning, the culture of a school, healthy communities, and systems and structures that make education meaningful. In this book you’ll:
- Find resources for redesigning spaces on a sustainable budget
- Support technology integration through blended and virtual learning
- Hear success stories from the field
Here’s a look inside the chapters and sections of Redesigning Learning Spaces:
- Why change classroom space now?
- What are other experts saying about the elements of learning space design?
- How does intentional space design impact student mindset and attitude?
- How should teachers begin this process?
- What does it feel like?
- Beginning the conversation
- Starting From Ground Zero
- Learning Doesn’t Have To Happen In A Traditional Classroom
- Potential Steps to Begin the Redesign
- Showcase the Re-Design
- Are shifting learning spaces a gateway to shifting the community at large?
- How are the community and the schools the same ecosystem?
- How can learning space shifts and the greater community support kids emotionally?
- What steps are necessary for effective communication to the community about innovation in learning space design?
- How small moments have big purpose on systems
- Thinking about learning spaces as deep levers of change
- In what ways can teacher blend learning space design and technology integration to maximize change across the system?
- How can teachers best use their resources to create systemic change?
- Who else is supporting this work to change learning through space design?
- Who is doing this well?
- Who can support your work? Where can I start?
- Why be an agent of change?
Join 76,000 other learners (and teachers)
And get new posts every week by email.